Tell your story on the web
Creating your websiteTo create a website, you will need to.1. Register your domain name (your address on the Internet)To make it easy to find you, select a domain name that is as close to your group or organisation's name as possible. If not possible to get your exact name try to get as close as possible to your name or create something similar so people can easily find you. You can then do a search on the Internet to check availability of your selected name.To register your domain name, you will need to find an accredited registrar and pay a fee. These registrars approved by the Australian domain name administrator provide services for registration, renewal and changes to domain names. Registration and renewal is simple and costs are as little as twenty dollars.You can also use your domain name for your email address or use a free email address such as gmail, but sending emails from your domain name (example firstname.lastname@example.org) will look more professional.2. Find a web hosting companyYou will need a web hosting company to get your website on the Internet. Most of the major Internet service providers offer web hosting services. They can also provide you with multiple email addresses. Monthly fees for web hosting vary depending on how large your website is and how many visits you get.3. Prepare your contentThink about what you want your members to be able to do via your website. This will help you work out what sections or pages you want to include. Consider what information or transactions your customers will want and make sure the site is easy for them to find and do what they need. To create and keep your website current;
- Think about what your visitors will want to know, not just what you want to tell them.
- Keep your organisations' information up-to-date.
- Make sure your contact details are correct and easy to find.
- Promote your website in your correspondence and other media.
4. Build and Launch your WebsiteTas-Web will work with you to build your website and keep it up-to-date. Designing your website for mobile use will allow the growing number of people using phones and tablets to access the Internet can use your site while they are out and about.Tas-Web can help your organisation with all of these steps.For Tasmanian based not-for-profit organisations our services are free. All other costs for third party providers are chargeable. Need to know more? Contact us.